Following this step-by-step guide to the perfect sauteed mushrooms.
- Visit your local grocery store to buy fresh mushrooms. Make sure that the label says "Product of Canada," that way you know you are buying a local and safe mushroom product. I like to buy sliced packages of mushrooms, as it saves me two steps in the kitchen.
- This is where I would usually open the package and clean the mushrooms with a damp cloth, but luckly the mushrooms are already triple-rinsed, saving me one step.
- Slice the mushrooms. Once again already done, thanks to the handy sliced packages!
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a medium-high heat pan.
- Add mushrooms to hot pan in a single layer, if you add too many all at once they will steam in their own juice rather than saute. You might notice that as you are sauteeing the oil disappears. Do not add more oil, you are only adding more fat to a product that has zero! Just keep stirring the mushrooms around, in the final minute they will release a tiny amount of fluid. (This is also why I suggest using a non-stick frying pan or wok).
- Add seasonings of you choice. I like to use Italian Seasoning.
- Saute for 4-5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are nice and brown.
- My favourite part... serve!! Sauteed mushrooms go great with steak, or mixed in pasta, or even ontop of a salad. Perfect for any meal.